Monday, November 8, 2010

3 Months Worth - Le Cordon Bleu Superior Exam

HELLO HELLO HELLO!!! So this is the third part of my blog for the past three months that I've been away from the social network. So how did you like my first two entries??? I know, not much food. This part, I'll give you too much food that you will even throw up seeing all of it. I'm kidding. So anyway, yes, we did a lot of shit in culinary school, I even miss school! I'm so bum right now. I've got nothing to do and I'm broke. I just hope that someone would drop by our doorstep and give me a billion dollars out of nothing. That way, I could buy that Le Creuset Cast Iron Pan and what else? I don't know. hahahaha

So anyway here were the things we made during Superior Cuisine at Le Cordon Bleu. God I realllly miss school. I miss the chefs, the students and even my locker. I hope they cleaned my locker well, I think I may have left a tie of parsley in there. ulk. haha. I MISS SCHOOL. okay enough. So for final dishes of Superior Cuisine... Let's starrttt!!!

Frozen Chocolate Parfait, Orange Cream with Citrus and Basil
Herb Crusted Salmon, Mushroom Flan, Red Wine Sauce
Orange Filled Melba and Caramelized Cream
Frog Legs with Garlic Puree and Green Jus
Pan-fried double lamb loin chops "Maintenon", Green Beans in Bacon and Artichoke ChipsApple Crisps with Pineapple Sorbet and Lemon Balm-Lemon Grass Syrup
Crispy Sea Bass - French Toast Style, Capers and Lemon and Chicken jus
Buckwheat Crispy with Crab Meat and Vinaigrette
Inversed Flat Peach Melba, Red Currant Jus flavored with Hibiscus
Red Mullet with Tapenade Sauce
Lamb Rib Roast in Bread Crust Artichoke Fonds with Hazelnut Oil
Sauteed Green Asparagus Spears and Langoustines and Beetroot Vinaigrette
Bananas baked in their skins with Brown Sugar and Banana Sorbet
Foie Gras Flan with Fresh Morel Mushrooms and Asparagus
Hake with Parma Ham and Grilled EgpplantsJohn Dory in Tandoori Sauce w/ Wild Rice and Spinach
Chocolate and Orange Marmalade Tart
Squab Breast wrapped in Cabbage, Legs Stuffed, Tartlets with Wild Mushrooms
Lightly Pan Fried Scallops, Scallop Parmentier and Carrot Butter
Seasonal Fruit Flan and Streusel with Mango-Passion Fruit SorbetCherried Pan Fried with Port Wine and Vanilla Ice Cream
Duck Bavarois, Mesclun and Confit Tomatoes
Glazed Stuff Sole and Surprise Crepe Parcels
Green Asparagus with Parmesan Cheese
Blancmange with Seasonal Fruit and Kiwi CoulisTabouleh with Fresh Bouquet and Shrimp Vanilla Oil
Red Mullets Fillet with Crispy Potato Scales
Swedish Style Marinated Herring with Cream and Avruga Caviar
Beef Cheek "Miroton", Cumin Carrots and Stuffed Turnips
close up on potato scale
Soft Macaroon, Candied fennel ice cream, wild berry coulis
Light Tiramisu-style mousse and sugared raspberries
orange and lime sorbet with sweet wine jelly and balsamic vinegar dressing
Artichokes "Grecque Style" with Saffroned Mussels
Roasted Rabbit Tandoori with Herb Salad


But we're not done yet, let me spill some of the photos during our last moment in culinary school. I know I've been saying this, but I really miss school and my classmates. They're just too awesome to be with. I somehow bonded with them and I hope I'll see them soon...

I just love Marianne
Steven or Si Toan in Vietnamese
with the girls and boob grabbing action
i have the best boobs in culinary school, I think.
Jonathan(singapore) Steven(vietnam) and Felix (south africa)
thai classmates
brite and nam
bacardi shot
Zach (Wisconsin)
Clement (Switzerland)
my turn
ulk. it just burned my throat.
sleeping is okay in class
and so as yawningthe boys in their high waisted pants
and us in our cropped pants
my partners in practical, they're just the best
last demo!
Pang, happy that class is almost over
More and Make
Marianne
and M, sleeping in front of chef
Cha and her Pastillage
Fendi on screen
chef wilfrid and cedric

And now that the class is over, let's go to the Final Exam day!!! I was really nervous about my dish, because I wasn't really confident about it, but it tasted good to me. So the common ingredient for all students were... Turbot 1.2kg, 16pcs. of Baby Carrot, 1 bottle of Belgian Trappiste Beer and 200g of Chanterelle Mushroom. In school, all examinees are given 5 hours to finish their dish, I finished mine in 4 hours, and I WAS THE LAST ONE TO SERVE. lol.

So for the Turbot, I braised it in stock and semi-filleted the top so that it will be easier to come off from the bones after it has done cooking in the oven. I braised it with stock, aromatic herbs and with the beer. Braised and semi- baked and filleted it after. Then I reduced the liquid with the carcass and mix it with a Veloute and made a sauce for it, thickened with egg yolks and cream w/ lemon. Then to make it orange-y, I made some Orange Gastrique and mix it entirely with the sauce.

For the Baby Carrots, I kept the top part of the stem and and slowly sugar glazed it and finished it with orange zest and a pinch of cumin. Then for the Chanterelle Mushroom, I sauteed it in butter w/ thyme and garlic and stock until it is eatable, and put it in the blender w/ some cream, just to make it into a creamy mushroom cappuccino soup. And a cappuccino is not complete if it doesnt have a foam, so I softened some onion with stock with olive oil and blended it to make a froth and topped it in the soup.

For the side dish, I made some turmeric rice, which I bought in Bangkok's Gourmet Market and made it into rice pilaf with tomato confit. lovely. And I made a micro salad with orange vinaigrette. Brocolli sprouts, rockets, alfalfa sprouts and etc.

Result.. AMAZING. Well, the Chef's have finished their plates. Everything was well combined and well seasoned. They love the whole idea of my dish, which I called, "Turbot Sauce Allemande a' L'orange" LOVETTE!

all prepped up for exam
ball came to be the assistant
Teddy
my brother came before my exam to give his support hahaha
looking at the written exam result
marianne just finished with her practical exam
Pastry students with their Sugar Work Exam
Nam just finished her exam
Terrence, overjoyed with his written exam score of 10/10!!!
err, I got 8.8 hahahaha
Fendi and her turbot
making my sauce
i needed water, 5 hours of exam is just exhausting!
Pang also came to be our assistant
Terrence with his carved asparagus
my dish... I think I could have done better with the plating. but whatevs.

ANYWAY!!! PART 4 Coming NEXTTTT!!!!

xoxo

Babinella

this photo is not flattering at all



No comments:

Post a Comment