Sunday, February 14, 2010

HOLA!!! Gong Xi Fa Cai and Happy Hearts Day!


XI NIAN KUAI LE!!! IVE GOT NO ANG PAO!!!

Oh what a week I've been to. A lot of things happened this week and I'm just as glad as how everything is turning out here in Bangkok. Well sad to say... yeah I think I miss home. Being nostalgic isn't good after all. You miss the food, you miss the language, you miss the people you've been with half of your life and of course you miss "JAYWALKING" hahahaha... I arrived here in Bangkok on January 13 and I've been jaywalking the roads of Silom and Saladaeng for almost a month. Until they wired all of the main streets and what's the way to get to the other side??? Uhmm overpass. URGHH. Anyway who says im complaining.

So recipes for this week - RAW MEATS, Boeuf Bourguignon, Choux Pastry and a Salmon. Okay I really didn't know that French like their meat raw. Soft Raw. It's really weird for my taste because I'm Asian. The only thing I eat raw would be fish. But meat? I dont know. So anyway, we did roast a steak, a full slab of it for only 20 minutes just to make it Saignant. Cooked on the outside but raw in the middle. French like it. Don't ask me why... AND PEOPLE, there's no such thing as MEDIUM WELL. hahahaha It's either saignant (rare), medium rare and well done. Anyway I was on my degustation part, I was about to serve my beef. Cleaned my plate, garnished it and everything. When the chef took a look at the bottom of my plate there was BLOOD STILL. I said to myself "shitshitshitshitshit another mistake!!!!". I thought I was going to die, but then Chef didn't say anything. So I guess in France, it's okay to have blood juice on your plate when you ask for steak. I thought i made another mistake but oh well.

Second thing we did was the Boeuf Bourguignon. Oh my this is heaven. I saw it first at Julie and Julia and I just died when I saw how interesting it looked. We drenched the beef in wine and cooked the beef with its wine marinade for 2 hours. Beef has to be tender. It's tedious but it's worth it. It's just super super. Once you take a bite, you get a lot of flavors. The beef, the wine and the juices of the garnish. But since I'm Asian, I ate it with rice. :)))) Shouldn't be like that.

Boeuf Bourguignon
Beef Mode Bone Marrow cuts in Jus and Tomatoes ProvencaleThis was the beef we made. I forgot it. Sorry.Choux Pastry with Vanilla Ice Cream, Sweetened Whip Cream and Chocolate-Coffee SaucePork Rib stuffed with Mustard Seeds and Herbs w/ Pommes ByronSalmon w/ Lemon Chive Butter Sauce and Spinach Bottoms


Okay this Salmon thingy was as easy. Good thing it's not raw. We had to make the skin crispy but at the same time make the meat pink or ROSE. The lemon chive butter sauce was good! But you can't have it all since it's all butter. I bet youd die the moment you finish all of it. We took home a cup of that sauce so imagine how much butter we used.

That's Dao. She's my other stationmate Lek and Pang's degustationMy version of the salmon. (look how irregular i cut my chives)

------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's how my school week ended...but you know what, We're not done yet. :)))

Friday night we went back to Khao San, but this time we were a little late. It was a good night. They played Don't Look Back in Anger - Oasis TWICE!!! It's all acoustic. Really fun. Oasis, Radiohead, Aerosmith, Beatles, Nirvana. They're just really fun. Everyone else were foreigners. So, no lost in translation at this time. I'll take my friends here one day. ::))) COME TO BKK! I MISS YOU GUYS.


AND LAST NIGHT we Welcomed Chinese New Year! It's my first time to celebrate chinese new year overseas. But to be fair, I think Ongpin is still in my heart. haha :))) Bunny came in her Cheongsam. But where the hell is my Ang Pao??? I miss machang as well and Hakaw and Lechon Macau! SIYET!



I miss The Philippines so much. Yey! haha I think I'll be back soon. :))))) Oh this morning finally I played tennis again at Pang's place with Jeff. They've got an awesome court. It's like you are flying around Sathorn and Yannawa. Everything was overlooking. Tall buildings everywhere and in the middle of a high rise, is a tennis court. Jeff and I played a 45 minute rally and tie break match. It was good!!!

Anyway that's it from Bangkok. Hope you guys are having a blast!!! Today is Valentine's and I'm alone. My movie scheduled event didn't push through so thank you Suka, Sili, Bawang at Luya you just made my day. I cooked Paksiw na Isda earlier. So i nursed a nostalgia for a while.




ALL THE PEACE AND LOVE FROM BKK!

xoxo...

Babinella

No comments:

Post a Comment