Tuesday, August 17, 2010

How to Make A Decent ADOBO?

In Filipino cuisine, adobo refers to a common cooking process indigenous to the Philippines. When the Spanish invaded the Philippines in the late 1500s through Mexico City, they found an indigenous cooking process that involved stewing with vinegar. They referred to this method as "adobo." Over time, dishes prepared in this manner came to be known by this name as well. - Wikipedia

I don't really have a personal adobo dish of my own. I'm still developing mine. My mom makes it a bit more different. She prefers using the "maskara" you can ask your favorite butcher in the market in the Philippines what it is. But it's actually the ears, cheeks and mostly skin-cartilage of the pig. It has a lot of gelatin in it, it's good when cooked slowly. All natural thickening. Then caramelize it with sugar and soy sauce. Put a little vinegar, peppercorns and bay leaf. I can't do it exactly as how she does it. But it's good... and sinful... and fatty. FANTASTIC.

But move along, I found this Youtube video of KOMIKERO with relevance to Adobo. In Bangkok, soy sauce and vinegar is different. When you make adobo with it, it's just not the same. AND I'VE BEEN CRAVING FOR IT!!! I need a good adobo now, and it's 1 am.

So here's the video, but take note.... THIS GUY HAS A VERY THICK FILIPINO ACCENT. But props! "MASSIB PAIL!" hahaha massive fail


No comments:

Post a Comment